Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Fall is here and this is the perfect fall recipe!  The other morning I had run out of blueberries for my normal bowl of oatmeal; however, I had a can of pumpkin sitting on my counter waiting to be turned into pumpkin muffins.  The wheels started turning and it hit me, why not make pumpkin spiced oatmeal?!  Well, this is now my new favorite breakfast -- and super easy to make!  


In addition to rolled oats, you will need pumpkin, egg whites, coconut sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla.


I use regular rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind).  I bring 2 cups of water to a boil and then add in 2/3 cup of rolled oats.  Stir them occasionally as they cook.  While the oats cook, I prep my ingredients:  Measure out 2/3 cup of pumpkin, 1 cup of egg whites, 1 tbsp coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp all-spice, and 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg. 



When the oats are done to your desired consistency, and most of the water is gone, stir in the egg whites.


To avoid any egg white "chunks", I vigorously stir the oats, while slowly pouring in the egg whites.


What you are left with is a creamy looking oatmeal.


One the egg whites are combined into the oats, add in the pumpkin, sugar, spices and 1-2 tsp of pure vanilla.


Stir the mixture over a medium-low heat for a few minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.


Portion out into two bowls, and enjoy -- I like mine with a nice latte made with my homemade almond-hazelnut milk!   Yum!!



Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Serves 2

2 cups water
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 cup egg whites
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground all-spice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1-2 tsp pure vanilla

Bring water to a boil and add in the oats.  Stir occasionally over medium-high heat until the oats are cooked.  While stirring vigorously, slowly pour in the egg whites to get a creamy consistency to the oatmeal.  Add in the remainder of the ingredients and stir over medium-low heat for a few minutes.  Serve and enjoy!









1 comment:

  1. Oatmeal is a perfect powder. I have been using it for over 2 years. I love having it for my breakfast. I will try this recipe

    ReplyDelete