Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Turkey-Zucchini Meatloaf Muffins (with Mushrooms)

I love having quick and convenient "grab and go foods" -- something that is healthy and has a nice ratio of carbs/protein/fat is even better!  I had read some great reviews of Jamie Eason's Turkey Meatloaf Muffins, so I wanted to try and create a version that was tasty, but with more veggies in them.  This is my version of the recipe -- I really like them.  They taste delicious and remind me of the hamburgers my Ukrainian grandmother used to make.


If you have a food processor with a grater attachment, then the prep of these is easy.  If you don't happen to have a food processor, you can use a box grater and some elbow grease!

To make the muffins, I grate 1/2 a sweet onion and 2 zucchinis in the food processor and then dump them into a large mixing bowl.  The onion lets off some water -- I leave it in the mix for added moistness.


Next, I replace the grater blade with the chopping blade, and add 4 oz of a mixture of cremini and button mushrooms, 1 handful of italian parsley, 4-5 springs of fresh thyme, and 1-2 cloves of peeled garlic to the food processor and blend them together until finely chopped.  Feel free to leave out the mushrooms.  I have also made this recipe where I added 2 cups of spinach as well -- another great addition!!



Add this chopped mixture to the bowl with the zucchini and onion.  The rest of the ingredients can then be added to the mix: 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey, 1/2 c. egg whites, 1 c regular rolled oats, 1 tbsp. dijon mustard, 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp pepper, and some chopped green onion.


Now comes the fun part -- with clean hands mix the work thoroughly.  Feel free to use a wooden spoon to mix everything together if you don't want to use your hands.


 Once mixed, I use a large ice cream scoop to portion them out.  I have baked them in muffin tins, or also just as "scoops" on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat (or parchment paper).



Bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes, until they are cooked.  Wait for them to cool, and then enjoy! I think they taste best the next day after all the flavours have had a chance to meld together.  I enjoy eating them cold, right out of the fridge!  You can also double the recipe to make a nice big batch!




Turkey-Zucchini Meatloaf Muffins (with Mushrooms)

1/2 sweet yellow onion, grated (about 200 g)
2 zucchini, grated (about 350 g)
4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped (I use a mixture of cremini and button mushrooms)
4-5 sprigs of thyme, stems removed, finely chopped
1 handful of parsley, finely chopped (along with any other fresh herbs you may have on hand -- oregano, rosemary, etc)
1 tsp dried 'Herbes de Province' (optional)
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp green onion, chopped
1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
1/2 c. egg whites
1 c. rolled oats (I use regular, but you can also use the quick cooking oats)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Grate the onion and zucchini and add it to a large mixing bowl.  Finely chop the mushrooms, garlic, parsley and thyme (and other herbs) and add it to the mix.  Add in the additional ingredients and mix well.  Scoop out into muffin tins or onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I use an ice cream scoop that is about 1/4 c size. Bake at 375F for 40-45 min.  Makes about 20 muffins.

Nutritional Information (per muffin)





No comments:

Post a Comment